Monday, October 10, 2011

Random post #1

So since we have been discussing about lesbian, gay and bisexual topics in class i thought this would be a perfect time to talk about it and how it connects to other classes. In my Theatre 240 class we are reading a play called Angels in America by Tony Kushner. It is about gay people in the 80's. Along with other things, gay people are stereotyped by every gay person in this play gets AIDS.


When my friend and I brought this up to our professor, he said that the play was written in the 1980's so people coming out and the AIDS epidemic was freshly new. This still upset my friend and I. One character was so against it, even though he was gay, and got AIDS, he told people and the doctor it was Cancer. He would have sex with all kinds of men but he wouldn't admit he was gay. I feel like this play is making it seem like being gay is bad and people shouldn't be gay.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing you talk about this in a critical way... I think your professor is also responsible to point out that in the 80s this was really radical to come out with a play like this. Go online and read some of the reviews and commentary about Angels to see how life changing this was for the gay community to be visible for the first time.

    ReplyDelete