Sunday, October 16, 2011

Talking Points #5

Extended Comments: In the Service of What 
Author: Kahne and Westheimer


My post this week is going to be an extended comment to tom's blog, which you can find at http://tpm-fned346.blogspot.com/ I had to read Tom's blog a few times to understand where he was coming from. I feel that we agree on somethings but disagree on others. The way that he went about this article this week was a conservative way. He explained what the reading was about and talked about both service learning projects that were in the text. He also stated that the authors used a political view on the service learning projects too.


One part that i disagree with Tom is when he says that the authors "intended to attack conservative ideologies". I disagree because when I read the text, no where could I find a spot that they "attacked"  conservative ideologies. I felt that the text was explaining the different service learning projects and how they can be so different but also the same too.


On the other hand, I agree with Tom when he says that "It was like reading a power point presentation without the cheesy graphics". I wouldn't go that harsh on the authors but I did find parts of the article boring, which you could associate with powerpoint presentations. It was very informative and taught me a few new things. I also agree with him because the authors didn't show their expression and make it very enjoyable to read. If they went a little farther than just stating facts it would have been more fun to read.


At the end of Tom's blog post i was confused. In the beginning he said that "the authors intended to attack conservative ideologies". In the end he stated "To be clear, the authors never explicitly attacked conservative ideologies" So did or didn't the authors attack conservative ideologies?

2 comments:

  1. Since this was a reflection blog I wasn't concerned with sticking to the author's arguments. It looked like they setup the framework for an attack on the ideology of personal responsibility so I elaborated on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do agree with you about it being different types of service learning, also how they can be used in different ways to help.

    ReplyDelete